Skip to main content

About this collection

Western Washington University Board of Trustees Minutes 

This collection includes minutes from the Board's first meeting in 1895 through the end of 2012 and provides a continuous record of governance of Western Washington University since its inception. (Records from 1895-March 1920 are forthcoming).

 

How to access items in this collection:

 

Documents from 1895-1920 are mostly hand-written and must be transcribed before they are keyword-searchable. Those minutes will soon be accessible via the browsing options only.

 

To access any of the original records in this collection, plus other related Board of Trustees records, please contact University.Archives@wwu.edu.

 

More about this collection

Items in this collection from 1920-2012 were digitized with the generous assistance of the staff of President's office and Board of Trustees, in collaboration with Western Libraries Heritage Resources, University Archives and Records Management.  Minutes from 1895-1920 were too fragile to scan directly, so the digital images were derived from scanning the original microfilm.

Members of the Board of Trustees are appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Senate and collectively have full control over the institution, including the selection of the president, control over fiscal matters, management of all properties and facilities, establishment of organizational divisions, and, with assistance of the faculty, development of courses of study.

The school was established by the legislature in 1893 as the State Normal School at New Whatcom, but the school's name has since changed five times: 

  • 1901 - became State Normal School at Whatcom, as the town of New Whatcom changed its name to Whatcom.
  • 1904 - became State Normal School at Bellingham, due to the incorporation of the city of Bellingham via the consolidation of Whatcom, Sehome, Bellingham, and Fairhaven
  • 1937 - became Western Washington College of Education
  • 1961 - became Western Washington State College
  • 1977 - became Western Washington University

 Related links

 

 

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK